Wednesday 5 September 2012

DAY 5 - COLTISHALL TO THURNE 



Leaving Coltishall
Both Janet and I were up early this morning, after coffee we were away at 7am, we planned on getting under the bridge as soon as the pilot started work at 8:30. The river was deserted, which may have been why we had around 15 sightings of Kingfisher, flying directly downstream or perched on the overhanging branches.


Plenty of Birds on the quiet River

Retracing our way past Wroxham
We got to Wroxham bridge, and Janet moored the boat. I called the pilot as I was getting off the boat to tie up, my foot went down between the bank and the boat. I threw myself forward to avoid getting crushed, but my leg was caught, and the boat continued backwards. I felt my legging bending to the side, it was agony, but I managed to kick the boat forward, and pulled myself free. I thought it was broken, but I could move my toes, and after a few minutes I managed to get to my feet.


Pass the Southern Comfort.........

Back on board and poor Janet was looking sick and worried, but she actually saved my leg by killing the engine. I called the pilot and he came down, he was laughing, he had heard me falling and guessed what happened, he took us under the bridge and we pulled in to a boatyard, for water and a pump out. Paul and I treated ourselves to boatyard hot showers and returned for breakfast.


.... and The Albion

The River was busy as we retraced our route, at Horning we saw the steamer Southern Comfort, and further downstream we passed the Albion wherry. We decided to have a tea break with the carrot cake we bought in the deli, so we went down to Malthouse broad, and mud anchored, the cake was delicious.




South Walsham Broad Between Cottages

From there it was a short cruise to Fleet dike, which connects the river to South Walsham broad and village. We moored and tried to text Mandy to see what train she was catching from London, as she had to work in the morning. I had to walk down to the road to get a signal, and found out that Mandy had caught the coach, and was in Norwich. She then text to say she had caught a local bus to South Walsham, so we agreed to meet in the village.




Pretty homes Around South Walsham
I thought that I should exercise my leg so it didn't seize up, god knows what made me think that, but I was convinced. We locked up the boat and set off for the village, which was over a mile away, my limping got so bad, we had to send Paul ahead to meet Mandy, in case she got there before us. Janet and I were just coming into the village when a bus rounded the corner, and there was Mandy waving from the window. Janet went on to the village to bring Paul back, and I met Mandy off the bus, we went to a nearby cafe and ordered tea for everyone.

We sat and exchanged gossip for about an hour, and made our way back to the boat, the walk was really pretty, with lots of thatched cottages along the way. It was 4:30 by the time we got back to the boat, and I suggested that we overnight at Thurne, as I had heard that the Lion Inn was a good pub for food, and we thought we should cruise a little while for the benefit of our new passenger.


Treeless River Bure
It took us just under an hour, and the landscape changed drastically, as in Coltishall there were dense trees, and bushes, while downstream from Fleet dike, it was almost treeless, and it showed just how flat Norfolk is. The dike at Thurne, was narrow and well lined with boats, but we got a space. I went to rest my leg, and Mandy and Janet went to get reservations at the Lion. They returned with a huge menu, so many dishes to choose from, we couldn't make a reservation, but there was a quiz night in the pub that night.






A Fun Night At The Lion
The Lion Inn was an old Victorian building, full of atmosphere, the landlord was fantastic, making everyone feel welcome. The food was very very good, simple but huge potions. The quiz was great fun, the landlord keeping everyone on their toes. Mandy answered most of the questions, and our table won, our prize a box of celebration. We had a great night, and had to return to the Mars by torchlight, for tea and chocolates.

No comments:

Post a Comment