Sunday 2 September 2012

DAY 2 - GAY'S STAITHE TO HORNING 


Woke up to a lovely clear morning, it was so peaceful outside. I was the first to try the shower, and wasn't looking forward to it, after reading +Sally Ann's shower review on the Mars. It turned out quite well, I had always expected to hold the shower head over my head, and also had to get used to continually pumping the water out every so often. I emerged, clean and satisfied, I think the review made me expect the very worse. I did however use all the hot water, I think that was because we only had the engine running for about an hour the previous evening.



Pleasant Neighbours At Gays Staithe


We filled up with water and had breakfast, Des from the boatyard advised us to keep the engine running awhile to heat the water and to charge the battery for the fridge. And as the other two wanted showers we left the engine running while eating breakfast. We were wondering why the people on two other boats were looking over at us. Finally a very unfriendly man from a hunter came over asked us to turn the motor off, because we were disturbing the peace. The look on his face, suggested that we were tipping toxic waste into the water. I turned the engine off and explained what we had been told at the yard. He very rudely said we be charging the battery when we motored off. I replied that were we come from, people like to shower in hot water in the morning, he just stalked off muttering.


Finally Leaving Barton Broad
I waved to him as we left, and we returned to Barton Broad, I turned right and couldn't find the exit to the river, and had to turn and go back and follow the boats crossing the broad to find the Ant. After dealing when suicidal canoeist, and a murderous Wherry crashing into us, even after pulling the boat over into the bushes, we reached Ludham Bridge, and sailed under with ease. Got to the River Bure, and talked Paul into taking over, as he had been telling me how useless I was. He did okay and I congratulated him on keeping the boat in the dead centre, no matter what was coming the other way.


Following video
clip supplied courtesy
it shows us lowering the
windscreen for passage
under Ludham Bridge.


Malthouse Broad From Church Tower
I no time we were crossing Malthouse Broad, where there were no moorings left, so I took over, and showed everyone what a city boy could do. I did the Friday Afternoon at Sainsburys Carpark Act, and got the next available mooring. Got chatting to a couple who had a modern Hunter, and they told us where we should not miss, most places were already on our plan, but they suggested Woodbastwick. Decided to have a look tomorrow.



At The Top Of St Helens
We walked down to St Helens church, had a looked round and climbed the tower, really good view, the sun was out, and the day clear, we could see Norwich cathedral in the distance. Walked down to the boardwalk, and walked around to the visitor centre. After a coffee, we took the electric boat back to the staithe. Bought some jam, marmalade, shortbread and a lovely souvenir book. We had our lunch on board and pushed off, The weather was now very warm, as we continued upstream, and enjoyed looking at some of the lovely properties on the approach to Horning.




Moored At The New Inn
We had a mooring booked at the New Inn, and I pulled right into the only spot left. The pub attendant Gus, asked me if I had a booking, and I said yes, that I had got confirmation from Anne. When I said Anne, he said okay, but he hadn't been told that the Mars was booked in, but if I had arranged it Anne must have overlooked it. There was a table with 2 couple having a drink, and they asked me how long I had been boating, I told him it was my first time since childhood. They said they have been coming to the broads every year, and had never seen a first time more so well, which made my head swell.


Paddle Steamer At Horning Green
We took a walk around Horning, and most of the shops were closed, but they looked great. We sat on the bench by the Swan Inn and watched the paddle boat, leaving. We were told that a hire boat had been found tied to a bush near Salhouse Broad, it had a sleeping teenage girl on board, and her mother and mother's boyfriend have been found dead in the water, and that the river had been closed, and nobody could travel upstream from Horning. I sent an email and a text to Toby, the ranger at Salhouse, as we had booked a trip with him for tomorrow, and said that we could be stuck, and not reach him.

As we were getting ready for dinner, I got a text from Toby, saying that the river had just been reopened, and that he would see us tomorrow. Had dinner in the New Inn, sat on the veranda, and ordered some lovely steaks. As I was ordering, I got speaking to Anne, who told me that they thought the dead lady had been murdered by her boyfriend, who either drowned or killed himself. We went on to talk about the booking, and she said she had no booking for us. I showed her the email she sent me on my phone, but she pointed out that I had requested the 2nd of August, not the 2nd of September. She said it was okay as some bookings hadn't made it, as the river had been closed off all day. Went back to the boat, full and content, and looking forward to the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment